7.02.2012

Two days later...

I'm amazed at how much I have to think about everything I do, before I do it.

I got to work today and was craving my customary Diet Mountain Dew, but was immediately faced with whether getting it from the vending machine was considered local or not.  The machine is serviced by Derby City Vending , which falls under both independent and local definitions, for Louisville.  But, it doesn't follow the New Albany first mentality.  If I'd have thought about it, I would have picked it up on the way to the office at Lightning Food Mart or something...which requires planning ahead.   I can't say I won't fall prey to the vending machine one day in the next 363- but I'll try to foresee my daily craving rather than being surprised when it happens.

I successfully navigated transferring a prescription, picking up dog food, and grabbing fresh fruit, all within the level one designation of independent and local.  I won't bore you on the details- but, we're keeping track of all spending on a spreadsheet, and I'll update monthly.

The two biggest questions of the day:

1.  Gas.  Let's face it. There are no indie/local gas stations.  My choices remain box store gas pumps or international brands such as Shell, BP, Marathon, etc.  There are a handful of other oil companies, but even they get their gas from other sources.  Still, the Shells, BPs, and Marathons are usually franchised- meaning that they're operated and managed by a local business person.  (What, you mean no one's discovered oil under their yard- extracted it, refined it, and set up their own fuel station in town?) Someone mentioned on facebook that a truly local option would include taking the bus; but to be honest, our public transportation system here is lacking in so many ways I'd get to my destination sooner if I hopped on one foot down the middle of Charlestown Road in a snowstorm with an eyepatch.  

2.  Groceries.  New Albany has a handful of small grocers which could more easily be classified as convenience stores.  Little Tiger Food Mart, Lightning Food Mart, and Market Boy Food Mart are all going to get a visit to see what's available to a hungry family of four; and our local farmer's market will be seeing our fruit and vegetable purchases.  (Hopefully some bread, meat, and cheeses too!)

In my research, I also discovered that while Save A Lot is a chain, each store is locally owned.  They're not even really a franchise;  they describe it as a license.  From Save A Lot :  (ignore their glaring punctuation error...)
  "Licensor’s do not typically collect upfront fees or offer exclusive territory. Once a licensee launches the operation, the relationship with the licensing company is frequently limited to optional purchases of products and / or services, whereas franchisees can typically expect to pay upfront fees and pay royalties on a go-forward basis."

I didn't realize this about Save A Lot- and I'm thrilled to find this out for some of those potentially harder to find items. While it may not fall under level 1 (local AND indie), it would fall under level 2 as local.   When you fear having to explain to two kids that the reason there's no snacky fun type foods in the house because Mom's decided to buy local to year, it's a relief to find that the option is still there.

I'm finding that there are several conversations being sparked on my facebook wall and twitter feed- both for, neutral, and somewhat skeptical of what I'm trying to do here.  That's fine;  I want to hear all of it.  Feel free to comment with suggestions, questions, and whatever else.  It's all part of the next 363 days' conversation (and probably longer, truthfully).






2 comments:

  1. I love that you are doing this Kate! I will be reading and hopefully picking up some great info. I often choose local restaurants over chains, but the shopping thing is definitely harder. I wish you so much luck and am excited to see what transpires. I believe in you and I believe in the cause. Looking forward to following in your footsteps, I only wish I could be as disciplined! I do think it will help all of us make decisions that will effect local businesses and local families, so thank you! And one of my slogans I came up with for Jackson's Run was "Impact One, Impact Many". I hope this does just that when it comes to local commerce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another grocery choice could be Jay C's some of them are private owned franchises.

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.