7.16.2012

16 In, and the Top 5

Sixteen days in- long enough to be a tad frustrated with some of the things I've not had to get yet and am unsure where to look.  It's still mostly been easy;  though, I'll say the two biggest challenges have been concert tickets (total fail- Live Nation or Ticketmaster has the monopoly) and avoiding the convenience of fast food when I've not packed a lunch.  That happens more often than I'd care to admit.  I'm not a morning person, so thinking ahead to lunch is impossible when I've just run into the wall on the way to the bathroom with my eyes still closed.



 Fast food was also an issue on the way to said concert when an unnamed friend asked me to go through the drivethru at a certain restaurant with yellow arches (not naming the culprit or the restaurant here, see...) and I had to smell those fries.  They're like crack, all salty and crispy and...oh yes, let me tell you how I beat that one.  I went into Save A Step to pick up a Diet Coke, and ended up buying some of their chicken strips instead.  I only pouted for a few seconds before I realized they weren't actually that bad, and I'd stuck to my guns without succumbing to the chain pressure of convenience and delicious little fry morsels.


So far, there are five things I'm just not sure how to get and I'm going to throw them out to the readers to see what you'd recommend- or, is it already time to break the rules?  You decide.


5.  Feminine hygiene items.  Gentlemen, I'm sorry that you're turning several shades of red about now, so if you must, jump down to number 4.  Ladies, have you ever noticed how lacking the supply department is in the small grocery stores and the Save A Lots?  2 sizes...that just doesn't cut it.  So without further detail, does anyone know of somewhere locally or independent that has a decent selection?


4.  Razors and refills.  There seems to be the same lack of choice as #4- you're left with generic three blade disposables or single blade...and neither are kind to legs or armpits.  The Mr. isn't up for an experiment in hair growth, so I've got to find something somewhere (preferably Schick 5 blade Hydro!) that will keep pit and leg forests at bay.


3.  Kids Clothes.  We're getting back to school time in a few weeks and while we've got stuff to last through the warmer months, both kids have shot up since the cooler spring weather and need long pants and shirts.  I'm going to attempt to source as much secondhand as I can, but if I needed to get say a new pair of jeans or a dress, where would I go?  (New Albany, Jeffersonville, Clarksville (non chain), or Louisville?


2.  Sunscreen.  Again, we're dealing with very little if any selection at the smaller groceries, which leaves convenience stores that are locally owned.  I suppose that's probably what I'm going to do for our upcoming Holiday World venture, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm totally open. 


1.  DVDs/Movies.  We're getting to the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books, and the kids want to see the movies...so, this will inevitably be coming up in the next two months.  (Hey, anyone have a copy of these three they want to sell?)


I haven't updated my totals in a week or so, but we're saving money if only for the fact that I have to plan my impulsiveness, thereby eliminating the problem.  Ah well.  I take heart in the fact that I've a plethora of wonderful indie/local coffee joints, restaurants, and breweries in which to forget my sorrows.

9 comments:

  1. Holiday world supplies sunscreen so you shouldn't have to worry about that? As for the rest, good luck!! It's admirable what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Mathes Pharmacy for most of those things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have and can get SOME...but not a huge selection. I'm ok with that. They can't stock like a Walgreens and let's face it, I'm not sure they should. Our chain pharmacies have gotten kind of ridiculous. :)

      Delete
  3. You can check out DVDs from the library. Sure, they won't be New Releases, but it is the LOCAL library, and you can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are a bit obsessive about movies. Pretty sure they'll watch each eleventy seven times in the first week. (oh, and we may or may not have an overdue fee that we're scared to inquire about...)

      Delete
  4. There is a Shaheen's department store in Louisville, off Dutchman's Lane. I think they are individually owned. I've bought school uniforms there only, but they have non-uniform clothing for kids and adults as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaheens is great suggestion, there's one close to you, 26th and Portland Ave. wild and Wooly for movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maggie.danhakl@healthline.com11/20/2014 12:07 AM

    Hi Kate,

    I thought you might find this interesting. Healthline has compiled a list of the Effects Fast Food on the Body in a visual graphic and I thought you and your readers would be interested in seeing the information.

    You can check out the information at http://www.healthline.com/health/fast-food-effects-on-body We’ve had good feedback about the article and we think it will benefit your readers by giving them med-reviewed information in a visual way.

    If you think this information is a good fit for your audience would you share it on your site, http://newalbany365.blogspot.com/2012/07/16-in-and-top-5.html , or social media?

    Let me know what you think and have a great week.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3100 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.