7.09.2012

Because Rookie's Cookies ARE Groceries

Normally, I'd hate to admit I was wrong.

This time, I'm proud to say- I WAS WRONG.

I thought in the buy indie/local project I'd spend more money in groceries for a family of four than I'm accustomed to.  

On Saturday, I hit up an ATM that was willing to give me some twenties to go pick up as many veggies and fruits and other such stuff that vendors sell at The New Albany Farmers Market , and then figured I'd head over to Save A Lot (See HERE to explain why SAL is local) for some of the other stuff you just can't get at the Market.

I wandered around with $60, and spent every last bit of it.  On what, you ask?  Well...2 containers of Sancho Miguel's salsa (to take to parties), a watermelon, blackberries, onions, green peppers, peaches, Rooibee Red Tea , a bag of Quills Coffee , some organic free range beef, and last- but not least- some Rookie's Cookies , because those buttery little morsels melt right in your mouth.  Please ignore the fact that I'm actually allergic to milk protein and am not supposed to have butter...I can't keep my mitts off these things.  Even the dog loves them.


After I dropped everything off at the house, I headed over to Save A Lot to get the rest.  When the list was checked off and all of the damage totaled, I'd spent an additional $63 or so.

You may have already done the math, but if you haven't, I'll let you know that our grocery bill for the week was $123.

I looked back through our average Kroger or Meijer receipts each week, and we actually did BETTER hitting up the Farmer's Market and SAL- we saved money (AND GOT ROOKIES!)

I mentioned in the beginning that impulsivity was going to be my biggest hurdle- and to some extent that's true.  But, without all of the tempting 'deals', I'm actually spending a lot less.  In other words, it's a heck of a lot easier to just go with the list and get what's on it.

Oh, and update on the dog:  He seems to be adjusting to the food, thankfully.  The...erm...smell has lessened and he seems to have worked out his issues. Here's to hoping that continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.