7.30.2012

The World of B&Bs (...and a boss that humors me).

Last week, I traveled for work to teach a social media seminar for one of our outlying counties for the ISBDC .


I'm lucky to work for a boss that not only humors me, but tries to help me along in my 365 mission.  So, when I asked to please get accommodations that weren't a hotel chain, she obliged by booking me a room at  the Herman Leive House in Aurora, IN.






I'm going to admit something.


In my family vacations and all of the adventures we had, we never stayed at a bed and breakfast.  We stayed at plenty of motels and independent inns, but never in my memory a true B&B.  I never really thought about why, until I arrived at the Herman Leive House. There's a prominent sign that states that it's not equipped for children.   As it turns out, it's a renovated house from the 19th Century Greek Revival style (Admittedly, I have no idea what that means)  that was originally owned by the master brewer for the local Crescent Brewery- a total win in my book.  I was somewhat dismayed not to be haunted by a beer wielding spectre, but that's probably for the best anyway, because the current owner and caretaker doesn't allow alcohol on the premises.  


It was a fantastic experience.  All local hotel chains were $100+ for the night- and I got a gorgeous time period decorated room with some really neat historical reading material, a totally comfy bed, and a bathroom that didn't look like thousands had been through the doors for only $65.  In the middle of the night, when I got thirsty, I wandered down to the kitchen to find a nice, cold bottled water and a tray of brownies.  (I was fairly convinced it was the best dream ever, until I woke up with crumbs on my face.)  I loved my stay, and will be back again when I'm in the area.


I can't stress enough how important it is that I have a boss that is attempting to help me along in my goal, even when it's not necessarily convenient for the team.  On more than one occasion, our staff meetings have taken place at a verified local restaurant in Madison, IN, or New Albany, IN- simply because she's trying to help me succeed.  Then again, maybe that's the whole point.  Even if it's just to help an employee, there's still an effort being made, awareness being generated, and money being spent in independent/local venues.  


But the first break from local is upcoming, on August 7-9.  I will be travelling to Indianapolis for training, and staying downtown.  Our 'home office' has secured reservations at the Embassy Suites- and while I'm comfortable discussing this with my direct boss, I'm not necessarily ready to insist at the state level on my accommodations.  I double checked to see if the Embassy Suites was owned by a local management company;  but, it is not.  It is a corporate Hilton hotel.  


I knew starting out that this was to be a yearlong conversation with ups and downs- and this brings into focus   another issue.  There are no independent walkable downtown hotels...they're all corporately owned.  


Ah well.  This means I'll have to patronize doubly the local restaurants and craft breweries.  As the old children's tale goes- 'Don't throw me into the briar patch, whatever you do.'


P.S.  I'll have July totals and communities impacted within a week or two.  


2 comments:

  1. There's always airbnb :-D

    https://www.airbnb.com/s/Indianapolis--IN?checkin=08%2F07%2F2012&checkout=08%2F09%2F2012&guests=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...that's intriguing! I'd have to read more and learn more about it to feel safe. Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.