9.07.2012

What Will We Tell The Children?

Recently, yet another study has emerged that shows the impact on a local economy of buying at an indie, local business is roughly four times the impact of shopping at a box store- depending on what type of establishment.  One of the more interesting things to come from this study was the fact that local retailers return an average of 52% of their revenues back into the local economy, while chain retailers only return about 14%.  Restaurants are even more remarkable.  If you go out for date night to an indie local restaurant, they'll recirculate approximately 79% back into your local economy, while chains average around 30%.

So the above paragraph is impressive, yes?  I mean, it shows that you, resident of Yourtown, Wherever can really and truly have an impact on your town and its quality of life by choosing wisely where you spend your money.  Heck, it got me so excited I went out to my favorite New Albany running store and clad my family in the best running shoes for their foot types.  Hey, everyone DID need new shoes, and though we're on a tight budget, we are overall spending much less money than pre July 1, 2012.

Yeah, I'm overly proud of these shoes...

But no matter how much this makes sense to me, and how much I preach the value of buying local and indie (always with the caveat that if somewhere has an inferior product or crappy customer service, you do NOT have to patronize them solely because they're local), have you ever tried to explain this to an almost 9 year old and a 6 year old?

I've tried, and that went over like medium rare filet mignon at a vegan convention.

Bear in mind, my strategy has been that we try to find a local option first and branch out from there.  So, for example, if we wanted pizza, we'd try an indie local pizza joint.  If there wasn't one, we'd buy a locally owned franchise pizza joint.  But, we have a ton of eateries that are both in New Albany;  so, I've not had to make this decision.

REAL mozzarella.  

At least thrice weekly, and sometimes more, I'm having this conversation:

Kids:  Mommy, we want Subway.
Me:  Subway's not local.
Kids:  So?
Me:  Well, more of the money we spend goes out of the area, rather than helping our fellow community members by supporting them and their businesses.
Kids:  ...
Kids: ...
Kids: ...Little Caesar's?
Me:  Not local.
Kids:  McDonald's?
Me:  Not local.
Kids:  WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US???
Me:  FINE.  Hing Wang it is.

Hing Wang is one local eatery that all four members of the family- and presumably also the dog- can agree on, mostly because they have noodles and dumplings.  They're seeing a spike in business from our house on nights that we need a quick dinner, despite warnings to the kids that they'll turn into noodles if we eat it any more often.

But in all seriousness, trying to explain what the New Albany 365 experiment is and why we're doing it to two elementary school aged children has proven to be one of my biggest challenges.  Of course, when they go to Grandma and Grandpa's, all bets are off and I'm pretty sure they take a tour from Burger King to Taco  Bell to WalMart to Toys R Us...but most of the time, they're living this with me, and they are fighting it.

I can only hope that as they get older, they're able to better understand what I did, and why I did it, and though they may not embrace it wholly, if I've caused their buying as teens and adults to shift even 20%, I've had a positive effect on whatever communities they decide to call home.  That's a better reward than some imitation cheese pizza that filled a temporary need because it was cheap and readily available.

Right?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you all got shoes from Pacers & Racers. I haven't been in there myself, but I've heard it's quite pricy, although you do get personal attention and fitting. I was having a conversation with my mom today about shopping local vs. chain or online. She had surgery this week and needed some home health supplies, like a tub bench. I could buy one online at Amazon for $23 with free shipping, one at a national chain drug store here in the area for $45, or one from a family-owned local medical supply store for even more. The question is ... how much incremental money are each of us willing to spend in order to buy local? Obviously if everyone were doing it, it would make a big difference. And local stores could drop their prices because they would be getting more business and therefore maybe better price breaks on the products they sell to us. But if it's just a small percentage of the local population buying local, those few families are bearing quite a price burden. Long comment, but just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Local running storesare a great example of how to buy indie. We are very fortunate to have one that recently won an American Express small business contest in which customers voted for them. Good service brings loyal customers.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.