9.17.2012

The First Fall: Greenery

A couple of months ago, I promised that I would fail.

I wasn't sure when, I wasn't sure for what item...but, I knew I'd fail- and I even mentioned that when I did, it would be part of the ongoing conversation.

All has been going well, really.  I've adjusted into a routine of planning what I buy, and where I buy it, and buying indie/local has become second nature.  I can tell you where to get just about everything, or a workable substitute.

I found this item about a month ago at Rainbow Blossom, after having a heck of a craving for it.  After not seeing it at Save A Lot, I was thrilled that I'd found a source that would work for me, since this particular item is not in season until late winter/spring, so it's not available at the Farmer's Market right now.

But last week, I stopped at Rainbow Blossom, and the clerk politely told me they were out.  Their shipment comes in on weekends, and I should stop by on Saturday.  Due to the nature of life, kids, sicknesses, and other perils of motherhood and familydom, I couldn't stop by until today, Monday.

They were out already.  On top of that, they had no chicken, which was the other item I was looking for.

This is going to be really, really anticlimactic.  You're going to roll your eyes and say, "REALLY???"

What drove me to Kroger tonight was fresh baby spinach.

Yes, the green stuff.  I love a good spinach salad with almonds, mushrooms, onions, fruit, feta, and on some days, chicken.


The kids eat 1.5 vegetables:  Both eat broccoli by the pound, and my 8 year old girl also loves fresh spinach.  We had discussed the meal on our way to Rainbow Blossom, and she had her heart set on spinach salad topped with chicken.  I think she was more miffed than I was at the lack of spinach.

She informed me that we would pass Kroger on the way home, and by gosh, they have spinach- and she could tell me exactly where it was.  My other option was to drive another 15-20 minutes to Thriftway in Georgetown to see if they had it. We were already on the other side of cross country practice and coasting towards dinner time...so, I caved.

I bought spinach and their free range chicken breasts, as well as another salad mix.

For some reason, Save A Lot doesn't carry anything but iceburg mixes or iceburg heads, and that's just not a satisfying salad.

I never thought that spinach would be the first fail.  It's getting its own column on the excel spreadsheet- and at the end of the year, I hope we can count on one hand the times I fail.  It really irks me.

As they say, that's the way the feta crumbles.


1 comment:

  1. To fail every now and then shows the lack of local resources of certain items. This is one of them. Showing the gaps only improves the system in the end.

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.