1.09.2013

Donuts, Bourbon, Bread, & Doritos

We can't let this happen again.  It has been too long since I last posted, and while it'd be easy to blame the holiday season, I could have chained myself to the couch and laptop and made myself type.

Before we go any further, I have two more confessions to make- bringing my cheating total up to 4, I think. I'm not sure how many transgressions I get before I'm taken and flogged publicly, but so far no one's showed up, so...

We have had a Christmas tradition for the past four years where in the few days leading up to the 25th, my husband and I and the kids all go to Krispy Kreme one evening and get at least two donuts each and coffee or hot chocolate, and then go out to look at all the light displays.  I tried my hardest to convince my 9 and 6 year old that it needn't be Krispy Kreme;  we could go to, say, Honey Creme  during the day, save the donuts until later (they're not open in the evenings), and then go look at the lights, but that resulted in shrieking "NO!  It is a TRADITION!  We cannot change TRADITION!" from the kids.  I explained that I was going to have to blog and explain that I cheated again, but that had no effect.  They weren't budging on this one.


So, a friend tried to help me with a way around it:  She gave me four free glazed donut coupons.  That would have been perfect- except that we couldn't use them all at once, and everyone wanted two.

In the end, we got a dozen and between that night and the next morning, they were history.  I can't say they didn't taste good, because they were warm, glazey, gooey, and melty...though, someone ate my custard filled one and if I find out who (youngest boy, cough cough)- they ow me big time.

My second cheat was Christmas Eve.  Remember how there was to be quite the snowstorm somewhere within about forty miles of here?  Remember that there was going to be a line that either meant thirty feet of snow or rain, and depending on which side of the line you ended up on , you could be in for a real mess?  Well, after the kids' presentation at church was over, I was convinced we needed bread (we did), and bourbon (I could make a good argument that we needed that, too).

Unfortunately, the only place that was open was Rite Aid, so I stopped in.  Like any good snopacalypse preparer, I also picked up doritos. Of course, we got approximately one inch of snow and that was being generous, but better safe than without the essentials.

But that's it- you know all of the cheats now.

Santa?  Santa respected my wishes and sourced locally.  I hear he hit quite the jackpot at Ben Franklin in New Albany for the items he couldn't make, and I'm not sure the kids could have been any happier with toys they didn't need from stores that make good money convincing them they do.

All in all, it was a wonderful holiday month.

Next post will bring you the items I'm missing or having a hard time finding, in hopes that maybe someone can help.  Until then, live local.

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up---Traditions are Traditions and meant to be kept. Plus we all know everything needed is not readily available at an independent business. All any buy local campaign asks for is to first consider indepedent businesses knowing the benefits to their local community, and just a portion of your spendable cash. SOOOO kudos to you and your family for the strong efforts. xo

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.