10.04.2012

Stump the Local Yokel: Reader Challenge

Three months in, and so far, the spinach debacle remains the only cheat I've had.  I don't know that I provided an update here, but the day after I bought the spinach at Kroger, a kind friend on twitter pointed out that it had been recalled.  We were, of course, fine and suffered no effects from the listeria scare. I do remain convinced that the deity above has a sense of humor, and often at my expense.

I've settled into a bit of a routine these days when it comes to getting the items that we need as a family.  I never thought that planning would ever be a part of my vocabulary when it comes to shopping for anything, but it's not been that hard to integrate it into the daily flow of family, work, and activities.  

There are many things I've been able to source at an indie/local retailer that I never would have dreamed possible.  

My best example of that would have to be a shower curtain liner.  Seriously, take a moment to consider where in New Albany, IN you might find a shower curtain liner.  On the suggestion of a friend, I ducked into Ace Hardware the other day and sure enough, they carried 'em.

Wait, is Ace Hardware local?  I had to research a bit, but yes, they are.   They started as a chain back in the early 1900s in Chicago;  but, in the 1970s, the Ace corporation sold itself to its individual retailers.  Each location is owned locally, and uses the Ace name simply to leverage group buying power.  Their term is 'retailer owned cooperative'. To learn more, check out this excellent company history.



Really, though, the point of this blog post is to see if you, my readers, can stump me- or, if I've found an indie/local resource for just about everything yet.  I can't guarantee that I will; but I think it'll be fun to try.  

So, give it your best shot.  What don't you think I can find?

I'll post your stumping items and my results in a future blog post. 

3 comments:

  1. Craigslist- there have been 5 listed in the past month. I know it isn't necessarily a business, but it is keeping money within the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Albany: By the River's Edge. You may have to wait a few years to buy one "local." Yard sale will be the only way to do that and keep money within the community. But if the local economy of Franklin, Tenn. matters to you ...

    ReplyDelete

I do allow anonymous comments; however, please be respectful in your discourse, or I will disable them.